Friday, February 17, 2012

Cheesecake Malfunction


For Valentine's Day I decided to make my husband's favorite cheesecake, something our diets, and my energy level, rarely allows for, but it was a special occasion and we'd pay the price on the treadmill later.

The arthritis in both my hands and wrists has been horrible lately-- swollen, painful and too weak to really get a good hold of things.  But I pressed on with the cheesecake preparation which, in all honesty, is fairly simple compared to peeling carrots and potatoes.  I pulled the cheesecake together and placed it carefully in the oven in no time.

It had been a while since I prepared a big dinner, in this case, short ribs, potatoes and carrots all roasted together.  At the end of a full day of cooking my hands we beat and I'd already placed splints on them for extra support.  I'm not positive the splints actually help but it makes me feel like I'm being proactive to ease the pain. 

So as the cheesecake's oven timer churped I struggled to pull the oven mitts over my splints to remove the gorgeous cake to the cooling tray.

As if the universe was shouting "no cheesecake for you" a slow motion juggling act played out before my eyes....  My forearm kissing the piping hot oven rack causing the cake to slipped off the left mitt.  The right mitt reached to help steady my hand only to land smack in dab in the middle of the cheesecake to keep it from completely falling to the floor.

Eventually the cake made it safely to the counter... garnished with a big, bright blue oven mitt.  How I wish I'd taken a picture to share with you, but, I was too busy cursing like a drunken sailor at the mess I'd made.

So after everything was cleaned up and I'd caught my breath, I made a doctor's appointment for some cortisone injections to help ease the hand and wrist pain.  Remember as a kid how you used to get a lollipop for being a good patient?  I'm thinking a slice of cheesecake from my favorite deli is an appropriate treat this time, don't you.

Until next time...
Joanna J, aka Lemon Aid
Photo Credit (c) Trevor Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment